McDowell Wellness Center is a CDC-recognized organization that offers the National Diabetes Prevention Program, a lifestyle change program proven to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes. To find out if you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, click on this link: https://doihaveprediabetes.org/.
In a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program, you’ll learn, laugh, share stories, try new things, and build new habits – all while lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes and improving your health.
Key components of the program include:
- CDC-approved curriculum with lessons, handouts, and other resources to help you make healthy changes.
- A lifestyle coach, specially trained to lead the program, to help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals, and keep you motivated. The coach will also facilitate discussions and help make the program fun and engaging.
- A support group of people with similar goals and challenges. Together, you can share ideas, celebrate successes, and work to overcome obstacles. In some programs, the participants stay in touch with each other during the week. It may be easier to make changes when you’re working as a group than doing it on your own.
The program runs for one year.
- During the first 6 months of the program, you will meet about once a week.
- During the second 6 months, you’ll meet once or twice a month.
Check with your insurance provider as many insurances are now covering this program.
For more details and to find out when we will start the next classes, call McDowell Wellness Center at (859) 936-WELL (9355).